Easter?

I've not been a religious person for a long time (forever?) and I like it. My husband likes to call himself an atheist. I'm not sure I believe that, but agnostic he is for sure. So, it's Easter time. And in the school that Andrew and Davis attend, there has no doubt been lots of discussion about Easter. (They also say a prayer before each meal that ends with "amen;" I was ok with that because when Andrew first learned it, he said, "oh man". Awesome. Someone has since corrected him and he now says it "correctly"; I don't like it but that's another blog entirely.) I wasn't sure what the boys were expecting with Easter because we hadn't really discussed it at home. I certainly would never talk to Andrew and Davis about "Jesus" or "God". Were they at least expecting the Easter Bunny? I finally broke down and asked Andrew if he thought the Easter Bunny was going to come to our house (Friday evening before Easter, of course. I'm the best planner EVER!). "Of course, mommy!" He continued to explain that he was going to bring lots of candy. We've celebrated Easter in previous years. I just wanted to make sure that he and Davis were expecting him this year. And they were. So this meant I had to get my butt in gear.

I decided against buying a cute outfit for each of them. They'll only wear it once. Then I went to the grocery store on Saturday morning (where for months they've had enough Easter candy on the shelves to feed all of Kenya) and guess what! NOT A PIECE OF CANDY LEFT!! Well, a few pieces, but not of the good stuff! WTF!? So, I pulled together some things and was ready for Easter.

Easter morning rolls around and the boys are happy as can be. They're eating all the chocolate that can fit in their mouths at one time and they're running around the house like crazy playing with the big bouncy balls the Easter Bunny brought. We headed west later in the day for an Easter egg hunt on the Yard. Another success. All in all, a good Easter, without all the holy.

I can manage that kind of holiday indeed.