Cowboy Camp

When summer was fast approaching and I'd yet to make any concrete plans for the boys to have any care while I continued my Mother of the Year  campaign by working full time, I was told by my good friend Jennifer (#16) that during the second week of July her children would be participating in Cub Scout camp at the 4-H park and, even though the boys weren't in Cub Scouts, they were more than welcome to participate. As an added bonus, she would be working there each day, too, so she could keep an eye on the boys for me. Christopher and I talked about it, researched the cost, and signed 'em up! It seemed like a no-lose situation. It was an all-day camp, which Davis had never attended. And that kinda stressed me out. But we'd give it a shot.

It also started at 8am. And I thought it was 9am. So the first day of camp we were late. I'm sure the Cub Scout leaders LOVED that! But I couldn't wait to hear after their first day how it went. My friend sent me pictures through the course of the day ... but the true test was their words; their reaction; their cleanliness. Any clean kid at the end of a day at camp is a kid who didn't enjoy his day at camp.

When I got home, I wasn't sure there was any dirt left at the 4-H park. Holy. Smokes. And they were exhausted - also a good sign. They had a blast. A. BLAST!!

The entire week was spent doing arts and crafts, learning the art outdoor cooking, understanding the importance of good sportsmanship ... and having fun. And how to get dirty, apparently. After day 3, they were in bed and asleep before 8! We didn't know what to do with ourselves!




On the 4th night, there was a chuck wagon dinner for the parents, with skits performed by each den. Davis - a Bronco - sang "Deep in the Heart of Texas". He still sings the lyrics for me. And Andrew's den - the Appaloosas - performed a little skit in which Andrew was the caboose. He told me after they had done the casting that he had hoped to be a cowboy, but he was ok being the caboose.




Cowboy Camp was a great success. The boys have finally cleaned up, I think. They learned invaluable lessons over the course of the week. They spent some time apart - also important. And they had fun. That - THAT!!! - is the most important part.