An Open Letter to My Children

Today, on the prick of noon, Donald J. Trump was inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States. And I have struggled mightily with this idea since election results were finalized. In the back of my mind I have continued to have hope that something, someone, would come forward and be the voice of reason and keep the Electoral College's decision from becoming reality.

For Andrew's 12th birthday (11/10), he asked for a Hillary Clinton win on Election Day (11/8). That was one of my proudest moments as a parent.

But in the meantime, I've been working to ensure my children understand not only the importance of what's going on around us right now, but the notion that it's important to respect the Office of the President. Christopher and I have had to explain just what this transfer of power means to this country. We've had to explain what Donald Trump has threatened to do and that, because of the system of checks and balances, and because we have to have faith, we can only hope that the right outcome will happen.

So on this day I wanted to take a few moments to write an open letter to my children. I want them to understand that no matter what happens over the next however-long this man is the most powerful figure in the world, I promise certain things that will keep them safe. And keep the hope alive for them. Without further delay -
Dearest Andrew and Davis:
Today I promise these things to you:

I promise that, no matter what, you will be raised in a house that knows how important it is to love. EVERYONE. It is important to treat everyone equally. It is important to stand up for those whose lives may be different from ours just because they look different or sound different when they speak. I promise to work to make you understand that we are all the same. It's important, too, to understand that some classmates may not be as lucky as you. They may be facing some battles at home that you may never know about. So cut them some slack. Don't alienate them. Try to understand them. Know, too, that not everyone is always going to get along. Know that if you are struggling in a friendship, it's ok. Just be sure you've given it your best. And understand that some differences are not insurmountable. And that's ok. As long as you're respectful about your differences ...

Today I promise to continue to explain to the best of my ability what's going on in the world around us. I want you to be so informed about the world so that when it's your turn to venture out by yourself (which is years down the road but just around the corner), you'll have an understanding that will keep you engaged and interested.

Today I promise to show you the world as much as I can. I promise to take you to places for exploration - whether it's in our backyard or over the mountains and through the woods or across the pond to another land. I promise to expose you to new cultures and new ideals. I promise to show you that the world is a beautiful place filled with beautiful people. And just because someone who says ugly things can make it to the highest office in the land doesn't mean the rest of the world believes those things.

Today I promise to love you with all my heart for as long as I'm alive. I promise to continue to accept you for who are you. I promise to continue laughing with you (even though some days it may be harder to laugh). I promise to continue talking to you. I promise to give you all the best the world has to offer - and that means things without a monetary value. I promise to teach you that love will always, always win.