time flies

There's a commercial currently on television that I saw last night. It made me cry. Only because it is exactly what I feel like is going on in my life.

In the commercial a father is leaning into a car from the passenger side window talking to his daughter about driving safely and looking both ways and not texting and driving and always wearing her seat belt. When the camera pans over to the daughter to whom the father is speaking, it's a 7-year-old girl sitting in a big driver's seat.

Then in the next shot it's the daughter, who is actually 16 and old enough to drive, who is listening to her father. But as he's handing over the keys, he still sees the girl as being 7.

And now just in typing this my eyes are welling up.

I went to see Jen and Wyatt last night and took her some baby clothes that have been living in my basement for the past 3 years. When we were going through the box to look at the clothes, I couldn't believe that my babies were ever once that tiny. Certainly they couldn't have been, right??

It seems like only yesterday that the nurses were saying, "here he is! It's a boy!" And now - almost 6 years later - I have a little man living in my house.

And Davis? I can still feel that big baby in my belly sometimes.

That's what it feels like any way. Like it was not so long ago that these boys arrived. Now they are able to walk and talk and tell me how they're feeling and that they slept well last night and that they're hungry and that they want to be Superman and Spiderman for Halloween.

All of this in the course of 2 weeks? It seems impossible.

I met my husband 10 years ago. TEN YEARS AGO. I've never loved anyone so much for so long (except Guinness, of course). It's hard to remember what our lives were like when we first met. We were broke. We were struggling. We were unemployed (some of the time, anyway). And now look at us. We have a nice home that we can afford; we have two cars; we have lots of "stuff" that some would consider luxuries; we have two beautiful children who never suffer from a lack of want; and we have each other.

But man. Just yesterday I was turning 25 and throwing up at my niece's christening.

Some days I feel like I spend so much time excited about the next step that I forget to slow down and enjoy the phase that I'm in right now. I think maybe I'm the one who needs to slow down. I'm the one who needs to watch it all pass by. Stop thinking about what's next and enjoy what's going on right now.

Because if I don't, it's all going to be over and I'm going to wonder where I was when it all went down.