please excuse me ...

... for being nostalgic. I didn't even expect to have this type of reaction.

And it's not like it's some big surprise. We've been waiting and waiting for this. But now that it's finally here. I'm a blubbering idiot.

This morning, while Christopher was helping Andrew remove his head gear, he noticed something that not even Andrew had noticed. There in his mouth, on the bottom row. Was a loose tooth.

A LOOSE TOOTH!!!!

I can't believe it. It seems like only yesterday that we were waiting (only somewhat patiently) for those bad boys to come in. And it took for.ev.er. And now, there they go. Out of his mouth for the tooth fairy to take away.

And then what happens next? I'll tell you. More will fall out. Then even more. And my beautiful baby boy won't be - well, for one, beautiful anymore. But he will definitely no longer be my baby. When our neighbors' daughter lost her baby teeth and her big-girl teeth came in, she immediately became an adolescent. She was no longer a little girl. She was no longer their baby. She was a young girl, soon to be a woman.

I'm not pretending that I'm surprised. I've known it was coming. Hell, we were checking Andrew's teeth more frequently than he was. But now that it's here? It's just another milestone that I'm not exactly sure I'm prepared to face.

Another step to my little man going away from me. And that makes me sad, I guess.

This is all my grandfather's fault. He was a puddle of water about everything. EVERYTHING. And he passed that gene along very well. So I blame him.

Goddamn genetics.