teeth and kindergarten

... When Andrew's tooth FINALLY fell out, it was such a non-event ... I think I made more of a fuss than he did. And that's so typical of him. And me.

He was mid-bite of a hot dog and he says, "huh. My tooth fell out." And just like that. I guess it's a good thing I buy him the fancy hot dogs to eat because otherwise he could have just assumed it was a big 'ol hunk of nasty somethin' in his hot dog and kept right on chewin'. I probably would have done that, anyway.

And the thing is, the tooth was loose for so long that the new tooth was already out, growing, prominently. It's hard to tell that the tooth fell out even. The tooth next to it is loose, too. But he's so nonchalant about it all, it's like you know, no big deal!

In the meantime, I'm a mess. It's a big deal! This little boy had only one tooth on his first birthday! It took forever for those damn teeth to come in. And now that they're falling out? Damn.

It's just another rite of passage I know. And one I should have prepared myself for months ago. Years ago, actually. But I don't like to think about my babies growing up on me.

Because the next thing I know, it's off to college. Then what? I can't imagine.

On Andrew's first day of summer camp (which fell on the Monday immediately after his last day of kindergarten on Friday), he happened to sleep in. I awoke him telling him he had to wake up and hurry because we were going to be late for school! In a sleepy haze he said, "but I'm in first grade now."

And he is. He's in first grade now. And that hurts my heart. I just find it hard to believe. He's still my little man. My baby.

And I'm going to hold onto that for as long as I can.