Running for ChrisMan


In October 2011, my mother and I ran a half-marathon in memory of Christopher Brian Thornton. We took him to Disney World. It was hard ... the training, the run. And each time I passed something within one of the parks, I thought about what Christopher would have been thinking when he saw that. It was very emotional. And it was very cleansing.
With only 2 or 3 miles to go, I turned the corner and there was Lightning McQueen - Christopher's (and Andrew's) favorite. It nearly broke me. But it also drove me to finish. DO. NOT. STOP. No matter how much pain I was in. No matter how much I wanted to, I continued running until I crossed the finish line. I'm so glad I did.
... crossing the finish line.

I have become so much better about that little man being gone now. I can speak about him with a smile on my face. I can think about him without breaking down into tears. Most of the time, that is. Some days, he's on my mind and I can't shake the missing him. But other days, he is out there watching over me ... watching over the boys. And I know that. And it makes it feel good.