Character Counts?

On Friday, April 27, we received a note in Andrew's folder that was stapled shut and was addressed to "The Parents of Andrew Miller".

Man, what in the hell could this be? If you ask anyone who knows me well enough, they will tell you that I've been a bit of a troublemaker since Andrew started school there. I think it has to do with the fact that the administration in the front office makes ME feel like I'm in 1st grade and should be sent to the principal's office. And whatever about THAT.

Anyway, I opened it up and started reading it. And then - almost as if on cue - my eyes began to swell with tears. Andrew, the note informed me, had been nominated by his teacher for that month's Character Counts award  - trustworthiness.

I've learned over Andrew's MANY years in day care that he is two different little boys. At school, he's the sweetest thing you could ever imagine. He listens (what!??!). He does as he's told (once!). And he is the sweetest thing you could ever imagine (that last one doesn't really surprise me too much. He's the same - for the most part - at home).

However, while at home, he tends to revert to the way a little boy his age is supposed to act. And we've always cut him a little slack because he's so rarely doing anything wrong elsewhere. And our pediatrician once said to us "would you rather him be the opposite? Good at home and bad out and about?". It makes sense.

The pride I felt after reading that note was immeasurable. I called Christopher over for him to read it and I think it was maybe only 3 lines in before his eyes began to swell, too. He's just as much of a puddle of water as I. We're pathetic, the two of us.

So yesterday we each left work early and headed to Centreville to surprise Andrew at the awards ceremony. I knew he would see us right away because my husband tends to tower over everyone in the room, even when he's sitting down. So of course he saw us right away. He entered at the front of the room while we were sitting in the rear. He mouthed, very clearly, to us "what are you doing here?!" and then this look of complete guilt fell over his face. He wasn't sure what was going on, but if his parents were at school in the middle of the day, it couldn't have been good!

The principal soon began to speak and explain what was going on. Each grade had awards to be presented so we waited only a bit before it was the 1st graders turn. So each 1st grader had his or her name called. And I stood in the aisle in every one's way, waiting to get the perfect picture. And I waited ... and waited ... and waited. FINALLY!! Andrew's name was the last called!! But it was well worth the wait.

I can never put into words how much my heart swells for my boys. Each day they impress me and surprise me and make me cry. Usually they are tears of joy. I cannot count the ways in which I'm lucky. I'm reminded every day, though. And I'm so lucky for that, too.