Putting a Face on a Tragedy

I saw Morgan Freeman's mug show up in my news feed so much over the past couple of days. There were a lot of words attached to the picture and I didn't have the chance to sit and read it all until last night. And then I did a little research and discovered this:

Snopes.com - Morgan Freeman and Facebook

I find it interesting that in today's age we need a celebrity who appears to be a wise old sage next to words that may resonate as true or poignant in order for them to take on any meaning. As it turns out, some old regular Joe wrote the words later attributed to Mr. Freeman. And since someone thought the words would be taken more seriously if pictured next to a celebrity's photo, they copied and pasted the status update and created a link for them to sit next to Mr. Freeman's photo and VOILA! A facebook phenom gone viral.

I wish we didn't have the events happen in our lifetime like the one that occurred Friday in that small town in Connecticut. It's heartbreaking to think about how those families must be reeling about the loss of those loved ones. As I've stated before, my family experienced first-hand what it's like to lose a child tragically. And it's every parent's worst nightmare. And while anyone can sympathize with those families who lost loved ones (teachers and children alike), no one can understand that pain of having to pick out your child's casket until you've actually had to do it. Then, and only then, is it understood. And that's too bad.

Everyone has a mechanism that makes them feel better about something. For some people, it's praying. For some people it's crying. For some people it's neither. Assuming that your method is the best way to fix what was broke isn't fair to those who believe differently. And just because it's your way to feel better about any tragedy or painful event doesn't mean it's how everyone reacts to such news.

We are a society filled with empathy. For the most part anyway. And we are a society filled with many different beliefs - religious and otherwise. What we do though, for the most part, as a society, is pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and get back to living. Sometimes that's easier for others to do. Showing solidarity to those who have suffered the unimaginable in one way or another is the best way we know how to try to help. And it's always appreciated, I'm sure. But when we need to put a celebrity face on something to make it more poignant, I have a hard time understanding it.

But what the fuck do I know? My way isn't the best way ... it's my way. And it's the only way I know how to try to make it day-to-day. And that's the only thing I can offer.