Post-Vacation Hangover

This year's trip to Avon was completely different from previous years. In previous years we have stayed sound front to enjoy the sunset. Each evening we'd gather on the deck with drinks in hand and enjoy the sun setting below the horizon.

That's the picture we would paint in our heads when making the reservation for the sound front house, anyway. In reality, we would be scrambling to get the boys' dinner on the table because they were starving and couldn't wait anymore. Then one of us would be busy doing something that we hadn't been able to do yet because we were scrambling to get the dinner on the table for the boys. And by the time we actually made it out to the deck to watch the serene sunset over the sound, the clouds would have rolled in and the sun setting over the sound wasn't really visible anyway.

This year, reservations were made on the oceanfront side of the island. I was apprehensive because, well ... it's change. And I'm not real keen on change that I can't put my fingers on before the change is made. But we rolled with it. And from now on, there ain't no looking back.

It was fantastic. FAN. FUCKING. TASTIC!

When were were hungry we left the beach and strolled the 200 yards to the house to get something to eat. When we had to go to the bathroom, we got up and (unless we walked into the ocean to cool off) walked the 200 yards into the house to go to the bathroom. At the end of the day there wasn't a scramble to get the sandy boys into the car after making them get naked on the beach. There was no 20-minute drive back to the house in order to get those naked babies out of the car and into the outdoor shower. Everything was just easier. It was fun. It was just great.
And then it was over. And I had to return to work. Tanned; rested; and not ready to take on the work world. I spent the week following vacation suffering from severe exhaustion. Getting back into the swing of things was no where near as easy as I thought it would be. I was in bed extra early every night. I was sleeping so soundly through the night that I would wake up in the mornings forgetting that I actually had slept. I would make my way through the workday but only barely. I'm not sure if it was the exhaustion of the day or just missing the beach that made me so tired.

Anytime I get to spend 7 straight days with my boys is a good thing. So maybe it was a hangover - an Andrew, Davis, and Christopher hangover.

Whatever it was, I can't wait to experience the fun that caused it again.