Pride and Prejudice


So Andrew - after competing within his class and his grade - competed in a school-wide National Geographic Geography Bee last week. He did really well - he finished third - considering the questions were so hard that neither I nor Christopher knew most of the answers.



So I'm sitting there watching him compete and I've never been more wracked by nerves in my life. I wanted him to know the answers so badly that I wanted to whisper them from the crowd (helicopter anyone?). Instead I had to work on hiding the tears that were welling up in my eyes.


Words cannot explain the excitement and pride I felt for Andrew at that very moment. I don't know why at that very moment it struck me any differently than with any other major accomplishment Andrew has attained. Each time he's on the soccer field competing with all he has; each time he brings home an "A" on his math test; each time he brings home the perfect report card - all of these things make me so proud to be his mama. But something about the way he stood in front of that school on that stage and searched his brain for the answers - my god. I just wanted to rush the stage and hug and kiss on him each time he got the answer correct. Fortunately for Christopher I maintained control. Otherwise I know he would have been absolutely mortified. Andrew, on the other hand, would have welcomed it. He never seems embarrassed by my hootin' and hollerin' for him; he never seems embarrassed by my hugs and kisses in front of his friends. He has so much love and affection for his family that he couldn't care less about what his friends think of him for that. I'm sure that's going to change as he grows older, but ... dammit. That makes me so proud all over again.



Of course, not to be outdone - Davis Tilghman had quite a big day on that Friday. Not only did he bring home an amazing report card, he was also awarded with the Student of the Month certificate. I know - that's not such a big deal. But for us - and for Davis - it was.  I have always known Davis to be exceptionally bright. But whether or not he would choose to show off those smarts was something I always worried about.


But damn if he doesn't. Chris and I always "joke" that Davis is the smartest person in the room. But I'm not always sure that isn't accurate. He has always been able to understand humor and sarcasm that no one at his age should understand. He just gets it. And each time he shows that off I'm amazed by him. He is my superhero - and I can't get enough of him.


Of course Davis is the complete opposite of his brother. When I want to hug and kiss on him there are rules.
 
"Davis - I love you!"

"Mom!! You told me that yesterday!"

"Come here Davis let me get some kisses!"

"Mom!! Not here!"


It's just who he is. And for the longest time I would beat myself up about what I did differently when Davis was in utero or a newborn that made him  so different from Andrew. But I don't think that way any more. It is simply who Davis is - he's like the bad boyfriend that you want to love you so much but doesn't always show you.


I know. I know. I've written this seemingly to only talk about how wonderful and smart my children are. And - yup. It's true. But if I don't write it down now, I'll never remember it later. And if I were to ever forget these moments I think my heart would die.