Ducks and stuff


This is a picture of my counter in this exact moment in time. I wish I understood the fascination with these ducks. The boys get them from school (a buck a duck!) and they collect them and I don't know what in the hell they do with them other than leave them on my countertop. But they love them. I just wish I knew why ...

This month it's ducks. Last year it was books. Several years ago it was Cars matchbox cars.

I was complaining about these damn ducks this weekend. We have SO many of them and for what? It's not like they play with them. They just sit. And take up space on my counter.

And then this morning I realized that there's going to come a time when the only things on my counter are things that are supposed to be on my counter - appliances, coffee cups, and mail waiting to be opened or recycled. There's going to come a time when all of the toys are gone. All of the footsteps running around the house - "boys! It's not a race!" - and loud voices will all be gone.

So this is a photo of my counter at this moment in time, taken to serve as a reminder that my counter was sometimes more than just a counter. It was a toy shelf.

And when this time is gone, I'm going to miss it - even though at this moment it drives me crazy. I wanted to capture this moment so that in 20 years when it's all gone, I'll remember how wonderful it was to have so many silly little toys lying haplessly around the house. Because there's no doubt in my mind I'll miss it.

In fact - I already do ...