Music in Me

Music has, since forever, played a large role in my life. My parents were audiophiles - there was music playing in our house all the time. It wasn't always, but most of the time, it was good music ... the classics. So I grew up with an appreciation for all things good - rock and roll, soul, Motown, blues. And I don't discriminate - I can hear music and appreciate most of it for something (except for that emo shit that "the kids" listen to today when it's simply yelling into the microphone. THAT shit shouldn't be considered "music" because it's not. It's crap. It's total crap). I think country music is good ... the lyrics are simple and heartfelt, you know? And rap can be considered the same ... just different than country music.

And what I especially love about music is that if you hear a familiar song, it will take you back to something immediately, just like a taste or a smell. It's amazing the happiness people can achieve through music. If you have nothing, you can always have music. Even if it's just in your head. Music can make you laugh, smile, cry. It can make you dance. Even if you don't want to, sometimes you just can't help it. Sometimes it's just impossible to not shake that ass.

When I was in Guinea I recognized how little those people had but how little they cared. You could just dismiss that by saying that what they don't have they can't miss; but it always interested me how they could find themselves either entertained or content with so little. They had each other. And they always had music. They would bang on buckets. They would sing. It was amazing.

And while watching "60 Minutes" this past Sunday, I saw this gem. It took me back to Guinea almost immediately - the landscape was exactly the same. And the people. The people are just amazing. They have so very little - compared to us they have absolutely nothing - and with so very little, they're still so very content. And so very capable. Watch it. You'll be so glad you did.