The Holiday Season

The holidays are upon us and I am faced once again with the same questions from every loving family member excited to purchase something for my boys - "what do the boys want for Christmas?" It's an impossible question to answer for more than one reason - for starters, they're spoiled as shit and don't need anything; and they don't need anything. But I know it's important for people to give them a gift at Christmastime, so I always try to come up with some things, all the while making sure it's not something that will either annoy the shit out of Christopher and me or injure them - either physically or intellectually.

This year Santa is bringing a BIG gift for the entire family - and only one. There may be a few little knick-knack presents to open, but there's not going to be a lot of presents under the tree to tear into, and I know, at first (it's hoped, anyway) that the boys will be a little disappointed when they turn the corner and see a lot less loot under the green lighted tree in the family room. But it's hoped that once the shock of the lack of material items is gone, they will understand how wonderful Santa's present is and what an exciting experience it's going to be for them.

I always like to think that my boys are gracious and polite and not too greedy. I like to think that they appreciate all they have been given and that they understand not every child is as fortunate as they. I like to think that they feel like they don't need the material things to be happy. So I like to think that when they see fewer packages under the tree, they'll not show their disappointment - or verbalize it with "where are all the presents?!?" I'm pretty sure I'll be disappointed because, while the boys are all these things (fingers crossed), they're also little boys who still believe in Santa and look forward to all the loot under the tree, not completely understanding that all that loot is coming from us. I think - once they understand that Santa isn't necessarily paying for all those fancy toys and gifts - the appreciation will grow. But until then their apparent greed isn't because they want more stuff, necessarily, but because they just don't understand from where it all comes.

So here's to a happy holiday season full of magic and happiness and, it's hoped, not a lot of disappointment.