21 days and counting

It seems that during each Session I decide that it's a good time to make a life-altering decision. This Session the discussion (and decision-making process) has fallen on the state of schooling for Andrew. He will be leaving Kennard in June and either moving on to the public middle school or to my alma mater - Sts. Peter and Paul. It took an incompetent Board of Education making ridiculous decisions for Christopher to agree to visit the school. I think he and Andrew were both impressed with all the small school has to offer. And though paying tuition will mean a big change in lifestyle for all of us, I'm not sure there is anything more important than a child's education. If paying for a good education means making a few sacrifices, I think the choice is clear - but is it?

When making these kinds of decisions, we're not only faced with the financial ramifications but also the social. Andrew has such good friends at his current school and he's so worried about leaving them. My assurances that I, too, switched schools at the start of middle school and was able to maintain friendships with the people I'd left behind don't seem to be easing his mind. I know that he makes friends so easily; and I know that he'll be fine. I just worry about that first day ... dropping him off and leaving him there and then what? He's all alone.

When a woman is pregnant with her first child no one warns her about how hard motherhood is. Everyone discusses how "beautiful" she is with that pregnant belly; everyone asks how she's feeling; everyone wants to know if it's a boy or a girl; what'd you pick out for names? But not one person who has gone through the ordeal takes the time to warn her that it's hard - and not the birthing part. Shit - in comparison that's the easiest part.

Being a mother is hard. Making decisions that will affect your children for the rest of their lives is incredibly stressful because if you fuck that shit up, you're not the only one suffering the consequences. There is a young malleable mind and body and soul that looks to you to help them through and expects you to provide some guidance and, while you may be doing the best you know how, you don't always make the best decision. And then who's left there feeling the after effects?

I'm so fortunate to have at my side the best partner in crime ever. Christopher and I discuss everything. We don't make a single decision regarding the boys without first consulting each other. And if it were any other way I can only imagine the trouble I would have gotten my children in already. We're a team. We're like the 1985 Bears. Or the 1992 Bulls. We're like the 1996 Kentucky Wildcats. We're a great team. And that takes the stress and pain out of a lot of situations. And I couldn't be luckier because of it.

There are 21 days left to the 2016 Legislative Session. Up until today the last month has flown by. With the end coming soon I have no doubt that the days will suddenly slow to a halt and seem never-ending. I just can't wait to have my own schedule back again. And to see my boys running around on the soccer field and in the backyard and ...

Just being free ...