YOU make a difference!!

I'm at the age now at which I no longer listen to music in the car. I've moved on to enjoying pod casts or "books on tape" (which aren't really on "tape" anymore, but instead stored on my trusty cell phone available at any given moment ...). I've listened to the entire catalog of Spencer Quin's Bernie and Chet series; I've listened to Jeffrey Toobin's Running for his Life: The OJ Simpson Story; I've also listened to American Heiress: The Wild Saga of Kidnapping, Crimes, and Trial of Patricia Hearst (I highly recommend this one). And I'm now in the process of listening to Al Franken's latest book Giant of the Senate. I still have over 8 hours left of listening to this book, but something in it inspired me so much that I wanted to write about it here.



While out with my dogs on a hike through the woods yesterday I was listening to the book in my headphones. In this one particular chapter Mr. Franken is discussing a letter he received when he first decided to run for the Senate (2007). It was from his 4th grade teacher and it was addressed to "Alan Franken". In the letter the teacher writes that she had heard that someone named "Al Franken" is interested in running for US Senate to represent the people of Minnesota and, wondering if it was the same Alan Franken who had been in the teacher's 4th grade class, she wanted to reach out and let him know that she thought it was great that he was thinking of running. Al Franken goes to  describe his interaction with his 4th-grade teacher - that the teacher was one of his favorites (second only to his 6th grade teacher). And as I'm listening to this, I have tears streaming down my cheeks ... on a walk. Through the woods. With my dogs. Who already know how much of a puddle of water I am.


Listening to Mr. Franken describe his teacher - and his teacher describe him - from his 4th grade year was so enlightening. I realized - again - just how much of a difference teachers make in our lives. I mean - I already knew that; but I'm not certain everyone takes enough time to recognize that. I know that several of my teachers made such a great impact on me and my life: Mr. Swatski - my 4th grade teacher who told my mother that he didn't appreciate the humor Jenny Riddleberger and I brought into his class; Mrs. Brown - my 5th grade math teacher (whose birthday happened to fall one day before mine!) who actually, for the first time, helped me to understand math. Mrs. Orino - my 8th grade science teacher who brought in the pig heart for us to understand the 4 chambers of the heart. She actually made me believe I could be a doctor (until I realized you also had to understand math to follow that path). Mr. Barnes - my 9th grade world history teacher who instilled in me my love for European history (and also taught me to say "renaissance" in the way the Brits say it - "re-nay-sance" - so much so that I can't even pronounce it any other way). Mr. Volante - my US History teacher who was just - the best (sidenote: I ran into Mr. Volante years after graduation on the boardwalk in Rehoboth and he remembered me immediately. He had since retired and was living the life at the beach with his lovely wife. I learned several years after that last encounter that he passed away (2005). It was devastating). And how could I forget Mr. Barlow? Not only did he appreciate my writing in 12th grade English, but he allowed us to watch "The Simpsons" in English class every Friday my senior year in school.

THESE are the teachers (and I'm certain I've left out several more - for sake of brevity, of course) that made such an impact on my life as a student - and in my life now. These teachers made such a difference in my life - and I'm certain I'm not the only student whose life they touched.

Then I started thinking about the teachers my children have had in their short careers. Ms. Coursey taught both Andrew and Davis in 1st grade. Neither of my children hit the lottery with Kindergarten teachers like I did (Thank you, Mrs. Cook!) and when they both were fortunate enough to land in Katie Coursey's class in 1st grade, they hit the jackpot. Andrew was fortunate to have Mrs. Woodfield in 2nd grade and couldn't have been luckier. He absolutely excelled in her class.

My children have achieved excellence in the classroom - and in every facet of their lives - because their teachers have taken the time to get to know them; to appreciate who they are as individuals and not just a student in a chair in the classroom; and to TEACH them. These teachers have understood that their minds are sponges that want to absorb so much knowledge and they have capitalized on it. They haven't allowed them to be dormant and bored. They've taught them things that they still talk about. They have taught them things that they will continue to understand - and grow to understand even more - as they become older.

I like to think that what I do as a career is somewhat honorable. I work as a State employee for the legislature, ensuring the Maryland law isn't filled with legalese that would be impossible for anyone to understand. I work for the State of Maryland - toward the greater good. It's not fancy. It's not going to make me rich. But at the end of every legislative session, I know I've done the best I can do to help the State of Maryland and its citizens.

And teachers? Man. They touch so many lives. So many children enter their classrooms day after day; year after year ... with the ambition to learn something new. And not all of them come from the same background. Not all of them have the same advantages that my children have. Not all of them have a warm house. Not all of them have full bellies. Not all of them have parents who love them as I love my children. But all of them are given the attention and admiration from their teachers that they deserve - and that's an honorable thing.

So I guess the whole point of this post was to make sure my friends who are (or were) teachers understand that I appreciate all you do. I appreciate all you try to do. I appreciate the hard work and dedication you put into your career. And thank you for not losing your shit on my child (like I have on many occasions) because he's driving you crazy today (I know. I get it). And thank you for making a difference in so many lives. You do something that not everyone could or should do. And you do it well.

Thank you.